She’s Too Close to Retirement Age"
Ageism is the Only Tolerated
Form of Social Prejudice and
it WILL Impact You!
When you fear growing older, you actually risk dying earlier
Ageism is in words that project shame on growing older and in attitudes that marginalize older people and minimize their contributions.
Too often, we view aging as ONLY impairment, decline, and dependency. People’s individuality is replaced by negative stereotypes associated with “a number.” This damages our sense of self, diminishes our opportunities and prospects, segregates us from others in the community, and can even shorten lives.
Everyone deserves to live in a community that offers meaningful ways to contribute, regardless of our age. We deserve to thrive as we grow older.
It is time we challenge and examine our ageist language and thinking, which have gone unquestioned in our culture – until now.
Benefits of Improving Attitudes on Aging
We live, on average, 7.5 years longer
Our community and workplaces gain a wealth of knowledge, wisdom, and energy
from being inclusive of the needs and wants of all ages
We create more opportunities for living a vibrant life as we each get older – including
better housing options, more effective healthcare, and a stronger sense of belonging
York County and its economy depend on our growing older population—people 55 and older contribute $1 billion to our economy.
We want people to grow older here!
How will YOU help STOP the unacceptable behavior of valuing youth over older people?
Aging is not an us versus them, it’s a we; we’ll never be younger than we are today, we’re all aging.
Be a Disrupter and Usher in a New Age in York County to make:
- Our community better
- The lives of our parents and those we care about better
- Our older self-glad we played a part in creating an age-friendly York County
4 Ways YOU Can Join the Movement
Your TASK to make York County a great place for you - and others - to grow up and grow older!
- TAKE a short assessment to understand your age bias (click here to access assessment)
- ADOPT 3 strategies to combat ageism (click here for strategies)
- SHARE your aging experiences in York County (click here to share your story)
- KEEP informed, engaged and connected – sign up for Embracing Aging updates including the latest news, blogs, events and articles that challenge ageism and your thinking (click here to signup)
Wanting to improve your ROI by creating an age-equitable workplace?
Wanting to increase membership and create a more welcoming environment for all ages?
Wanting to challenge your membership to enhance the community?
Embracing Aging is Your Partner.
We can help YOU create places, programs, and cultures where all ages can thrive!
Now offering FREE:
- Resources & Presentations
- Age-friendly Audits
- Customized Approaches for Businesses and Organizations
- Virtual Events to Engage as Disruptors of Aging
Contact Cathy Bollinger, managing director of Embracing Aging at 717.848.3733, firstname.lastname@example.org, or complete the form below.
- January 2210:00 AM—10:30 AMLet's Talk AgingAs Embracing Aging works to make York County a better place to grow older, we want to hear from you. What types of guidance, resources, information, and opportunities would we like to maximize our aging? How might we improve accessibility to the places we need and desire to go? What can we do to reduce social isolation and increase inter-generational opportunities? Join managing director, Cathy Bollinger, for a 30-minute online conversation as we share and learn from each other. Free, but registration required.