She’s Too Close to Retirement Age"
Ageism is the Only Tolerated
Form of Social Prejudice and
it WILL Impact You!
When you fear growing older, you actually risk dying earlier
Ageism is in words that project shame on growing older and in attitudes that marginalize older people and minimize their contributions.
Too often, we view aging as ONLY impairment, decline, and dependency. People’s individuality is replaced by negative stereotypes associated with “a number.” This damages our sense of self, diminishes our opportunities and prospects, segregates us from others in the community, and can even shorten lives.
Everyone deserves to live in a community that offers meaningful ways to contribute, regardless of our age. We deserve to thrive as we grow older.
It is time we challenge and examine our ageist language and thinking, which have gone unquestioned in our culture – until now.
Benefits of Improving Attitudes on Aging
We live, on average, 7.5 years longer
Our community and workplaces gain a wealth of knowledge, wisdom, and energy
from being inclusive of the needs and wants of all ages
We create more opportunities for living a vibrant life as we each get older – including
better housing options, more effective healthcare, and a stronger sense of belonging
York County and its economy depend on our growing older population—people 55 and older contribute $1 billion to our economy.
We want people to grow older here!
How will YOU help STOP the unacceptable behavior of valuing youth over older people?
Aging is not an us versus them, it’s a we; we’ll never be younger than we are today, we’re all aging.
Be a Disrupter and Usher in a New Age in York County to make:
- Our community better
- The lives of our parents and those we care about better
- Our older self-glad we played a part in creating an age-friendly York County
4 Ways YOU Can Join the Movement
Your TASK to make York County a great place for you - and others - to grow up and grow older!
- TAKE a short assessment to understand your age bias (click here to access assessment)
- ADOPT 3 strategies to combat ageism (click here for strategies)
- SHARE your aging experiences in York County (click here to share your story)
- KEEP informed, engaged and connected – sign up for Embracing Aging updates including the latest news, blogs, events and articles that challenge ageism and your thinking (click here to signup)
Wanting to improve your ROI by creating an age-equitable workplace?
Wanting to increase membership and create a more welcoming environment for all ages?
Wanting to challenge your membership to enhance the community?
Embracing Aging is Your Partner.
We can help YOU create places, programs, and cultures where all ages can thrive!
Now offering FREE:
- Resources & Presentations
- Age-friendly Audits
- Customized Approaches for Businesses and Organizations
- Virtual Events to Engage as Disruptors of Aging
Contact Cathy Bollinger, managing director of Embracing Aging at 717.848.3733, email@example.com, or complete the form below.
- April 2210:00 AM—10:30 AMYes You Can!Alan Dubs has invested 1,000 hours of his retirement years volunteering in York City schools. His passion is sharing his wisdom, life lessons, and encouragement with students to help them learn and grow. This experience has benefited his life so profoundly that he wants other retirees to give it a try. Join Embracing Aging for a 30-minute online discussion with Alan to hear the positive impact mentoring youth has on his later years and his tips for others to do the same. Free, but registration is required. Register
- September 239:00 AM—2:00 PMYork County 50plus EXPOPresented by OLP Events, the 50plus EXPO will feature exhibitors providing up-to-date information for baby boomers and seniors. With free health screenings, door prizes, educational seminars, and entertainment, the 50plus EXPO is a unique fusion of timely, relevant information and a fun, relaxed atmosphere. Free. COVID-19 safety measures and social-distancing protocols will be in place per CDC guidelines. For more information, call (717) 285-1350 or visit www.50plusexpopa.com.